Slideshow

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Elephant Cookies - Icing 'How To'

Elephant Cookies - Icing 'How
shared by Marian of Sweetopia http://sweetopia.net/

I had to share this tutorial by the very talented Marian of Sweetopia, she is an amazingly talented lady who shares her love and skill of decorating cookies on her blog and in pinterest.

I was just adding this elephant cookie cutter on Party&Co and I remembered I had seen a great icing demo so off I went searching, I hope it inspires and guides you. Cheers, Deb x



Decorating Steps
What you'll need:
Piping Tip #2
Piping Bag
Couplers
Small fondant rolling pin
Fondant and heart punch cutter (*Optional – Heart can be piped with icing)
Gel paste colors


Step One: Outline the elephant shape with royal icing. For detailed decorating tips, this tutorial may be helpful for you. 




Step Two: With the same icing, flood, or fill in your shape.



Step Three: Let the base dry for at least 6-12 hours.


Step Four: Add the ear by outlining and filling in right away.


Step Five: Add a small black dot of icing for the eye. Let the ear and eye dry for a minimum of 6-12 hours.




Step Six: Roll out your white fondant to about 2mm thick, and punch out a heart shape.

Step Seven: Adhere fondant heart to ear with a dab of icing.


Adorable!




Elephant Cookie Cutter Cutouts:

One tip for cutting out the elephant shapes; dip the cutter in flour first so that the dough slides out better, especially with a slim shape like the elephant trunk. I use a silicon pastry brush to dust off the excess flour.






2 comments:

  1. how did you keep the cookies from losing their shape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dj, the biscuits show are created by Sweetopia a cake and cookie decorator who shares her love of all things sweet. I have make many shaped cookies using cookie cutters and I find that the biscuits keep their shape. They do spread in size as they cook but seem to hold their shape well. I hope that helps. Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete